Sunday, July 6, 2008

Blueberry Picking with Friends

Early Saturday morning, Alyssa and I drove in to meet some friends and go blueberry picking! Matthew, Brandon, Kristin, Alyssa and I were assigned rows together, and for two and a half hours we talked, laughed, and (of course!) picked blueberries. I owe a huge thanks to Brandon for helping me to fill my buckets. :) The Lord really blessed us with beautiful weather for our once-a-year special outing.
In the above picture it kind of looks like Alyssa is saluting, doesn't it? She was taking a picture of me, actually. Since you'll all probably end up seeing it when she posts on her blog (and Matthew already has pics of this trip posted on his), I'll warn you ahead of time. My morning up to the time that the pictures were taken went something like this...
I got up at 5:30, grabbed some clothes from the dirty laundry pile, brushed through my hair, threw on a little makeup, packed a GF breakfast for the two of us, and met Alyssa in the driveway by 6:05. *Quick side note to Alyssa: I'm sorry you had to deal with my early-morning crabbiness on the car ride there... What a friend! Love you, girl.* Then I went and stood in line, shivering, for half an hour. By the time we started picking, I was fully awake and excited to be out on such a beautiful morning! The bushes were wet with dew, and you kind of have to reach in to get to the good berries (at least the people with short arms do), which meant that I got pretty damp. I'm not complaining, though! It was very refreshing, and made the experience that much more tangible. But then after a while it started warming up a bit, and I developed that hot, tired, sticky feel. Quite tangible, yet part of the experience I could do without, and definitely not refreshing! You know how it is when you just know your face must look like you're having a severe allergic reaction?! Maybe that's a girl thing only... is it, guys?? Please, be honest here, I really want to know! Maybe it's just me. Anyway, so you get the idea. I wasn't feeling terribly attractive by the time we were making our way to the check-out line! And I'm sure it wasn't just me and the way I happened to be feeling at the time... believe me, it was real.
So, don't say you weren't given a fair warning. And please, try not to laugh too hard. :)


Matthew tried very hard for quite some time to get a blueberry to land in Alyssa's mouth... but, alas! His efforts were all in vain.

Just thought you all might like to know that I got it in on the first try. :) I think Matthew was rather in awe of my talent... it was a glorious moment, my friends.

The champion blueberry picker of our group, Brandon Beaty.




6 comments:

Brandon said...

No that is not just a girl thing! I know exactly what you are talking about! It normally happens to me after I finish running. Hey, quit putting me on the spot :)! You didn't mention that you got essentially the same amount of berries, and I probably picked more only because you stopped to take pictures. Also, don't worry about your looks, you weren't that scary. I'll guarantee you will look better than I do in the pictures- I rarely look good in any posed photos.

Brandon

Matt Skywalker said...

haha yes.. You made it look so easy to get a blueberry in her mouth!! AURGH!! I must have been laughing too hard :p
I had fun, and you looked fine the whole time :) the morning routine sounded like mine, only my alarm clock didn't go off, so I slept in too late and was REALLY rushing! :)

Brandon said...

Also, I didn't help you get that many berries- I only gave you about half a bucket.

Rebekah said...

Oh wow, looks like you had fun! Hope to see you sometime soon. Rest in God dearest!

Becky

Thy Little Handmaiden said...

Ashley! I'm using my new laptop right now!! I finally got internet connection to it! for a weird reason a little while ago I couldn't get it..

The blue berry picking was lot's of fun. Thank you also for forgiving me about you know what. :) Your pictures turned out WAY better than mine did... although I haven't even gotten mine posted yet... sigh... I'm such a slowpoke... hopefully now with the laptop I can get them up really fast!! :)
You looked just fine the whole trip girl! I don't remember any "morning crabbiness" coming from you.. You're an angel in the morning! lol!

Also you looked just fine when we were picking. I didn't notice that you looked suddenly bad. :) You looked like a sweet little angel among the berries. :) Now me was a different story.. lol!

love you sister!
me :)

"Nenette" said...

That sounds so much fun! I have never gone berry picking... :( so I can't tell you how sticky it is. But I can imagine! Hope to see y'all sometime. -Shaylynn