Friday, October 10, 2008

The Heart of Jesus

"Jesus was a teller of parables on this earth, and his stories reached into the very heart of his listeners. Can you find yourself in the parable of the lost sheep? Are you one of the ninety-nine, safe in the fold of faith? Or are you the wanderer, the stray, the outsider?
This one lonely straggler, stumbling in the darkness with jumbled emotions and mounting fears. With wistful eyes and tear stained cheeks, you walk aimlessly. Uncertain of your path, you wish for the shepherd's guiding staff.
Limping, you long for the shepherd's gentle touch.
Then your ears turn at the sound of a voice, calling your name.
Relief floods your weary heart as the shepherd lifts you onto his shoulders. Tears of gratitude fill your eyes as he tends to your bumps and bruises. The Scripture says that we all, like sheep, have gone astray.
But Jesus calls to us, cares for us, and carries us home."

~from Experiencing the Heart of Jesus by Max Lucado

****************************************************

"He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out and find pasture... I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep, and my sheep know me. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand."

~ Words of our Master from John chapter 10

No comments: